Tuesday, April 1, 2014

"As hangs a flexible cable..."

It is April.  It is Poetry Month.  Not just poetry month, but National Poetry Writing Month, or NaPoWriMo! For the past three years I met a challenge posed by my friend Jennifer L. Knox, a very accomplished poet. She double-dog-dared me to write a poem about masonry every day for the month of April.  Can I do it for a fourth year?  I'm gonna try.  I write these very quickly, so I apologize in advance.  Here we go, NaPoWriMo!

"As hangs a flexible cable..."
A clash of great minds, keener than most
duelled in the seventeeth century:
Isaac Newton showed Robert Hooke's ghost
the how and why of arch masonry.

Hooke's contempt for lesser men
hinted perhaps at his own depravity
his anagram showed post mortem when
his cable was hung by Newton's gravity.



No comments:

Post a Comment